Best Ways to Floss Properly with Your Peoria Cosmetic Dentist
Many people struggle to find the proper ways to floss their teeth. You don’t have to be one of them! Even if you are in a regular routine of brushing, flossing can still be a difficult habit to continue. Here are some simple tips to help you floss properly.
Flossing is one of the best methods for removing plaque between the teeth. It is necessary because your toothbrush cannot reach everywhere it needs to.
We can’t all visit the dentist daily for a professional cleaning, but with proper flossing, we don’t need to. Continue to brush twice daily and floss at least once for optimal dental health.
Obstacles in Flossing
Here are some of the most common reasons people struggle with flossing:
• Tightening of cheeks during flossing can cause it to be difficult to get fingers into the mouth
• Bleeding of gums from other dental issues
• Pain due to improper technique
Here are the steps you want to follow for proper flossing technique:
• Begin with 18 inches of floss. Wind it around the middle finger, leaving about an inch to work with.
• Hold floss tight between the index fingers and thumb.
• Slide it gently between the teeth in an up and down motion.
• Curve the floss around the base of each individual tooth. Go beneath the gum line.
• Use a clean section while flossing each tooth.
• When removing the floss, use the back and forth motion to bring the floss out gently.
Which Floss to Use?
If you are confused about which floss you should purchase, here are some tips. There are two main types of floss available:
• Nylon floss (multifilament)
• PTFE floss (monofilament)
Nylon floss can be waxed and unwaxed plus comes in a variety of flavors. It is composed of many strands. Because of this, it often tears or shreds between teeth.
PTFE floss is more expensive but slides easily between the teeth. It is virtually unable to shred.
Either one of these flosses is excellent at removing debris and plaque, it is all a matter of preference.
Aside from brushing and flossing, visiting your dental provider twice a year is essential to a happy mouth. If you have further questions about how to floss, this will also be a good time to discuss concerns with your Peoria cosmetic dentist.