Caring for your gums is just as important as the care of your teeth. Problems like bleeding gums are a sign that your mouth needs attention. Because gums provide support to your teeth, you must take quick action when you notice bleeding gums.
The Most Common Cause of Bleeding Gums
Most often bleeding gums will be caused by gum disease. If left untreated, it can turn into a more serious condition called periodontitis. You don’t want to panic if your gums begin to bleed, but you need to take prompt action.
Other causes can include:
• Bleeding disorders
• Vitamin K deficiency
• Hormonal changes
• Use of blood thinners
Treatment of Bleeding Gums
Bleeding gums are a signal that there is not effective plaque removal occurring on the gum line. Here are steps you need to take to reverse the issue:
• Brush twice a day – Use ADA-approved fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush.
• Floss once a day – This removes the food particles and plaque from under the gumline.
• Don’t smoke – Smoking is a leading contributor to gum disease. Quit if possible.
• Visit the dentist regularly – By having a proper cleaning twice a year from your hygienist, you can remove more plaque and tartar than you would’ve at home. This keeps your mouth healthy and gives you the chance to find out about problems in your mouth early.
If your gums continue to bleed, it is time to visit the dentist. Treatment for gum disease can include:
• Deep Cleaning - Scaling and Root Planing
• Topical medications and antibiotics
• Medical removal of unhealthy tissue
• Dental surgery including Gingivectomy and Gingivoplasty
Gum disease is a serious condition and many studies have proven that there is a link between it and heart disease. It is also possible to have difficulty controlling blood sugar when dealing with gum disease. Pregnant women with gum disease are more likely than those with healthier gums to deliver preterm weight babies. If you are suffering from bleeding gums, it is important to visit the best dentist in Peoria, IL as soon as possible. Taking action now can save you from losing teeth or having other dental issues.